Lou Fox, a professional cross triathlete from Great Britain, shares a brutally fun mountain bike workout that will really work you over. This challenging workout will help you build both physical and mental strength. You can follow Lou’s adventures on her website Lou Fox Tri.
Pre-Workout Thoughts from Lou
This workout can be done anywhere off-road, but make sure you time the two hard efforts for climbs, flat or undulating sections, not long descents or you won’t be able to put in enough pedaling effort. For me, living in the overpopulated south of England, the best option is my local mountain bike trail centre. There will always be other riders on marked trails, especially in the UK, but that is great motivation to reel them in each time you spot someone ahead! And also good practice for overtaking like in a race – just remember to be courteous.
- 30 minutes of riding with some efforts – focusing on technical skills.
- 10 minutes all-out. That is an effort greater than 100% of your functional threshold power (FTP).
- 10 minutes easy riding. Back off the effort and recover.
- 30 minutes race pace. Race pace is 95% FTP if you’re measuring power or 100% threshold heart rate.
- 10 x 20 secons max hill sprints, with 2 minutes easy spin between each sprint.
- 20 minutes cool down. Ride easy.