Specificity of your workouts can help to hone those skills. Top South African cross triathlete Bradley Weiss, knows how to fly through all types of varying terrain. We caught up with Bradley to get an insight on some of the training he’s doing going into the 2017 race season. The following is one of the run workouts Bradley is doing in preparation for races like XTERRA Malaysia – Asia Pacific Championship.
If you want to join the fun at XTERRA Malaysia (Bradley will be there as well as Will from DirtTRI Magazine), there is a special discount code active until March 15th.
**Use “XT30” when you register to save 30% on your registration fee. This discount is only available until March, 15th**
This will be a short, fast workout, so being properly warmed up is very important. Jump into the main set to quickly and you may injure yourself. Take your time being properly warmed up
- 20 minutes of easy running
- 10 minutes of drills to loosen up your legs
- 2 strides – start at a jog and build to a sprint over 50 meters
To help you move quickly on varying surfaces, this set will have you doing two types of fast running – hills and flats. Make sure to focus on proper form, a quick cadence, and proper stride length (don’t over stride). The hills should help you establish good form. Hold that form on the flats.
- 3 x 1 min at 80% on a moderate climb. Your recovery is the walk/jog back down the hill.
- Follow the 3rd hill effort by quickly going into 5 minutes at race pace on a flat surface either being gravel or tar.
- Repeat this pattern 3x to 4x depending on your fitness level and where you are in your training block.
- 15 minutes easy jog
To learn more about XTERRA Malaysia – Asia-Pacific Championship, follow the links below.