The following mountain bike workout was created by Renata, specifically for The XTERRA Saipan Championship event this coming March. Navy Hill Rd, in Saipan, is the perfect place to perform this workout because it is also the start of the bike course. But if you don’t happen to live in Saipan at the moment, the second best place to do this workout is on a hill that allows you to ride straight up for at least 4 minutes.
To gain a better idea of what type of hills you’ll be tackling at The XTERRA Saipan Championship, here is the Strava Segment.
- 20 to 30 minutes of easy riding. Use this time to ride to the bottom of a steady hill.
- 2x – 4x building accelerations. Over 30 seconds, build up to a fast pace. Take plenty of rest between the accelerations. Remember, this is just a warm up, don’t go too hard too soon.
- 3x – 5x uphill for 4 minutes at 100% effort. This effort should be the maximum that you can sustain for the full 4 minutes. Alternate between standing and seated as necessary. For the last 5 seconds of each interval, explode into an all out SPRINT!
- 4 min recovery. Ride down the hill and continue moving for the full 4 minutes. Keep this very easy, but don’t come to a full stop.
- During each repeat, try to get a little bit further up than the previous one. This is a good way to ensure that you are going 100% effort each interval.
- Before the final repetition, DO NOT take the full 4 minute recovery. Instead, as soon as you are at the bottom of the hill, point your wheels uphill and go. This will make the final interval very painful and difficult, but that is where the biggest gains are made.
- Minimum of 10 minutes easy riding. Spin those legs out nice and easy.
To get both mentally and physically ready to run off the bike try this quick 15 minute brick run immediately after your cool down.
- 5 minutes of quick turnover (fast feet, don’t over stride) at a moderate to fast pace. Start at a moderate to fast pace, do not “ease into it”. This should feel uncomfortable and difficult. If it’s easy, you’re not doing it right.
- 10 minutes of easy running. Maintaining good form during these 10 minutes is key. Back off the pace from the first 5 minutes, but don’t back off from having good running technique.
The XTERRA Saipan Championship will be held on March 18, 2017. There is still plenty of time to prepare for the race and join in for some fun in the sun.
If you liked Renata’s workout, you can learn more about her Aloha Racing coaching services by clicking the logo below.