The following swim workout is brought to you by the support of…
Sprint at the start. Sprint around a buoy. Sprint past a competitor. There are many times in the swim portion of an off-road triathlon that you will have to sprint. As anyone who has ever tried to sprint in the water knows – effort isn’t everything. Technique, stroke rate, power and fitness all come together to make you a fast sprinter.
This swim workout is designed to help you:
- Build proper technique at a relaxed pace.
- Take that proper technique and hold it while increasing your stroke rate.
- Once you have a quick stroke rate with proper technique, you will apply power to go faster.
- And finally develop the fitness to hold that sprint for the appropriate amount of time.
- 300 easy swim (mix up the strokes)
- 4 x 50 – [kick on the odds, swim on the evens]
- 2 x 100 – build the 2nd 50
- 100 easy swim
|2x||3 x 50 drill||Single arm, fist, catch up||Rest :10|
|200 moderate pace||With the technique from the drills, swim with your perfect stroke||Rest :10|
|4 x 100 Building stroke rate||Increase the speed of your stroke throughout each 100, while maintaining the stroke technique you developed in the previous set. Don’t worry about adding power here (going hard).||Rest :15|
|8 x 50 Sprints||This is where you add power to that perfect, quick stroke that you created in the last set. Really push through the back end of the stroke. Power is in the back end of the stroke, not in the front.||Rest :15|
|2 x 100 Reset the stroke||Ease back to a moderate/easy pace to refocus and reset back to your perfect stroke. Think of these as active recovery to find proper stroke.||Rest :10|
|12 x 25 Sprint||Go as fast as you can with your perfect stroke. Your speed comes from adding power to a quick stroke. Don’t just ‘go hard’ if it means bad technique.||Rest: 20|
- 200 easy swim (any stroke)
- Don’t forget to recovery right with proper nutrition and hydration
Training articles like this are made possible with the support of companies like The Right Stuff – Serious Hydration for Serious Athletes. The Right Stuff is a NASA-developed electrolyte, liquid concentrate, drink additive for those who work and compete hard and sweat a lot.
COMPETE LONGER. PERFORM STRONGER. RECOVER FASTER.